Thursday 25 April 2013

ANZAC Day

ANZAC Day means a lot to me, as it does to most Australians. My Mama and Maxie both were in the airforce during WWII-it was where they met. Mama was beautiful, and Maxie was so handsome in their uniforms on their wedding day.

Mama always marched in the ANZAC marches when I was growing up, Maxie stayed home and quietly watched the Sydney services on TV. He never spoke of the war.

The Last Post was played at both of their funerals, and now never fails to make me cry.

In July 2009, while living in London, L and I went on a week long tour of Turkey. It was such a highlight of our year living overseas. It is such an amazing country, and I would-and do-recommend it to anyone. We spent a day at Gallipoli. It was quiet and peaceful and oh so beautiful on the day we visited, but you could see how incredibly tough the terrain was.









I missed the Dawn Service today-my alarm was set for pm. But I went and watched L surf at 7 this morning. It was a perfect morning, on a perfect beach, and I paid my respects then.

I'm incredibly grateful to live in such an amazing country. Lest we forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think-I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...