Monday 13 May 2013

it's ok

I've been a bit stuck with my blogging lately, and I think I've realised part of the reason why. I keep thinking-that's not good enough, I haven't finished that, there is no furniture, the garden is a bomb... Well that and dealing with a patient who had his wisdom teeth removed, along with general life, work and wedding craziness!
We bought our house knowing there was lots to do, even if most of it is fairly superficial surface stuff. It was the only way we could afford it, and it is a work in progress. Some rooms have no furniture, some are missing furniture, and some have the wrong furniture, we have rusty lights, chipped paint, missing putty, a jungle garden and no fences-and that's ok. We have holes in the eaves, a purple checkerboard kitchen, and I don't always clean as often as I should. We have had leaks, and have made mistakes, and learnt along the way.
Without further ado...
Empty walls and STILL no bedsides
Rusty lightS and multicoloured
Steep jungle garden-it's worse from up close-6 foot high...
Chipped, flaking, broken windows
Painting needed
Roundup starting to wrk

Weeds will grow-lawn won't

Holes and different rusty lights

Can you count the four wall colours

More dying jungle
Sometime L or I will feel overwhelmed with everything we have to do, and wish we had bought a nice new house in a subdivision somewhere, but it never lasts long-our house has heart, it has history, and we literally fell in love with it the first time we saw it. It will be all the more special once we have made it ours, because we will have done it ourselves.
I guess sometimes I look at perfect houses in perfect blogs and feel a bit down. Hopefully this does the opposite for you!

It's all ok. I'm happy to wait to find the right thing, I'm happy to wait to buy something that I love, we don;t have heaps of extra money lying around at the moment (ahem, wedding...), and all of our little jobs will get done.

What are you happily living with at the moment?

10 comments:

  1. It sure is OK! We're a little bit further along with our renovation but I still see so many things to do it is overwhleming sometimes. There are also things I see which we could have done better/differently/cheaper etc and sometimes I want to give up. You have such a great house, just take your time and try to enjoy the process as much as you can ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are enjoying it, and it feels so good to cross things off the seemingly endless list! I've just got to feel better about posting things when I know they aren't finished, and aren't perfect!xx

      Delete
  2. Have no fear Ness - I'm sure these "perfect" looking houses you speak of do not look like that ALL the time. Generally people only want to show you the "good" aspects of their homes and not the "ugly". Some go to a lot of trouble to style their rooms meticulously, then a gazillion photos are taken, they are then photoshopped, etc etc all to produce the one perfect image. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's like the photoshopped models-you KNOW it, but still some days compare. I do love our house! Was just showing a bit of the 'ugly' for all those others out there like me! :) x

      Delete
  3. Just found your blog via West End Cottage. Love your house, it has beautiful features and one day you will look back at these before photos and feel an enormous sense of pride ( and horror- how you live with that lavender every day I do not know!). I also have a blue house - with custard insides - called Betsy and have been living with the significant absence of perfection since we bought her almost three years ago. We have finally just started our reno last week if you want to pop over and take a peek. mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see the end result of you place-I found your blog recently too via West End Cottage! It feels so good to see the differences we have already made. The lavender is hilarious, it will be around for a few more months yet though! x

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I just deleted your comment! So sorry-I'm on a bouncy country road!
      We are also a long way from doing anything major-unless I sellu car...

      Delete
  5. You'll get there! Since I've been writing the renovation retrospectives on my home, it made me realise we only did one major thing each year ie: turf, deck, bathroom etc.. So it's taken 5 years to be finished, but we've been workin on it the whole time. It does get overwhelming, I know! Keep spreadhseets, they're great to look back and see what you've achieved and what is important to do first (I had no wardrobe doors for 12 months!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to look back at what we have achieved! I look at mum's place, and she's still pottering away and has lived there for over 10 years!!

      Delete

Tell me what you think-I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...